Thursday, December 3, 2009

Recipes for the Money-Saving Menu

Found something today: In my kitchen I preheat a memory, I fold in old friends with new, and I bake a good laugh. Isn't that the truth! Think I'm gonna print and frame this. In fact, I think I'll even give it as a gift to my cookin'-bakin'-lovin' friends for Christmas this year. Do you have any favorite quotes or sayings (food-, kitchen-, dinner-related, or otherwise) you could share? Please do--we're all in this together, remember.


Now to carry on this week's  theme of our money-saving menu, here are the recipes for the Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed Squash and Carrots, and the Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish Nuggets (don't you think this recipe would work with any good fish we find on sale?). I hope you'll share any $-saving ideas you have and until next time, here's to stretching that grocery dollar and making family dinner hour possible!


Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Serves 4, remember)
3 lbs baking potatoes
1 tsp salt
1/3 C butter, softened
1/2 C milk (I'll bet sour cream could be a great substitute here)
2 garlic cloves, pressed (sometime let's talk about garlic presses--I need to find a good one)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 C sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (any cheese will work, I'm sure)


Cook 3 lbs spuds, peeled and quartered, and 1 tsp salt in boiling water for 20 min. or until spuds are tender. (BUT, my son the chef always keeps the peelings on--extra nutrition and some added eye-appeal, he says.) Drain. Coarsely mash potatoes with butter, milk, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Transfer spuds to serving bowl and sprinkle with shredded cheese. YUM!



Sauteed Squash and Carrots (again, Serves 4)
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 lb zucchini, sliced 
1/2 lb yellow squash, sliced
4 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley (can substitute dried if that's all you have)


Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat; add zucchini and next 4 ingredients, and saute 8-10 min. or until tender. Stir in parsley. This is a pretty dish and only takes 20 min. total to create (cooking time plus 10 min. prep time).



Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish Nuggets (still Serves 4)
3/4 C cornmeal mix (I think this means cornbread mix, because otherwise the recipe would just say CORNMEAL, don't you think?)
2 Tbsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp pepper
2 lbs catfish (or other white fish) nuggets
Vegetable cooking spray


In shallow dish, stir together cornmeal mix, paprika, seasoned salt, and pepper. Dredge fish nuggets in mixture; coat lightly with vegetable cooking spray. Cook nuggets in batches, in a hot nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2-3 min. or until golden, gently turning to brown each side.






3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I was actually looking for a recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes - soooo coool!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this little blog could be the answer to your search! Please let me know how you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice, thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comments.
    As for "cornmeal mix", it's only the same as cornbread mix if you live in the South :)
    Most cornbread mixes are for "Yankee" cornbread and have sugar (!) in them. Cornmeal mix just has a little flour and the leavening already in the bag.

    ReplyDelete