Thursday, January 7, 2010

More Ideas and Resources for the New Year!

Between holiday family visits and my hunting for a job, I haven't been able to tend to my bloggy duties, and I apologize to any of you who stopped by and found nothing new. Family is all safely returned to their own homes and I'm back at it now though, (still job-hunting however).


Today I want to share a couple things: 

1) a great little book I discovered and read over vacation: Focus on the Good Stuff: The Power of Appreciation, by Mike Robbins. It's a good read, especially as we start a new year. It's divided into three sections (Our Obsession with Bad Stuff, The 5 Principles of Appreciation, and Appreciation in Action). It's also a quick read with some to-the-point exercises and a constant reminder of what matters most--people and our relationships with them. 


For instance, here's one of his exercises from Chapter 6, "Principle Four: Acknowledge Others": Make a list of ten people in your life right now and next to each name, list at least five things you appreciate about that person and at least one way he or she has positively impacted your life. In the next seventy-two hours, acknowledge all the people on this list (send a note, call them, make a visit, or...). Some way get in touch with these people and let them know what you appreciate about them and how they've positively affected your life.


I'm doing this, and I'll report back. If you think this might be something you'd like to do as well, please take a minute and comment--let's talk about this. Wouldn't you agree that we all need more appreciation? How cool to be doing something about it!


And 2) a great resource David Jones showed me: a website that could be one of our best resources for making family dinner hour possible: a website that tells us how to cook anything! 

You enter what you want to cook into the box at the top of the page, and every step you need to take shows up. I LOVE this site. I'm not the best cook in town, but I want to be, so this site could be invaluable. After all, it makes good sense that if the meal is irresistible, the family is more likely to make family dinner hour a priority! 


Now do YOU have any good meal-magic resources you can share with us for this new year? We're all in this together, remember. Meanwhile, thanks for sharing this great adventure with me, and here's to making family dinner hour possible!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to you see you back, Alice!
    You have a great important blog and it makes for interesting reading. There is a quote on my blog from Marion Cunningham that fits right in with your site. It will be interesting to hear how the appreciation exercise progresses for you! Here's wishing you good luck in your job search! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, you've made my day! Thanks so much for reading, responding, and especially for the encouragement! I'll keep you posted on the job thing, and I'm loving your blog (am reading through to find the Marion Cunningham quote--I'd like to include it here as well). And I'll keep you posted on the Appreciation efforts as well.

    ReplyDelete