Friday, March 19, 2010

I Need Your Help and Here's a Fun Recipe!

I LABOR over this blog; I think about what I should write next, all the time. I'm sincere and serious about wanting to help us be more efficient and consistent in getting family dinner on. I worry as to whether what I'm writing about is of any value. And so I need your help.

I know I need your help because of an online tool called Google Analytics. It tells me how many readers per day this blog gets, what they're reading, and even for how long. I know how long (on average) you're on the site and can tell what you're not interested in. So far, this blog is pretty hit and miss as to zeroing in on your needs and interests. And that's where I need your help. When you have a minute, PLEASE talk to me (to us, really). 

I know I don't know all that much--I bring a little expertise (clutter management, organization skills, time management ability), but I don't pretend to be the fount of all knowledge. But if we were to pool the years of our experience, training, and insights, WOW--then we'd have a fount of maybe not ALL, but a WHOLE LOT of knowledge!

I always close the blog by saying "Please share--we're all in this together, so let's help each other." and I mean that with all my heart. I started the blog with the intention of it becoming a community effort, and that's still my hope and desire. So what d'ya say? Will you help me make this one of the best blogs out there--a compelling tool that really does some daily good? Together we can make family dinner hour possible! 


NOW, I want to share a recipe my Aunt Annie and Aunt Toots used to make to welcome Spring. It has a cute name--giving dishes cute or funny names adds some whimsy to family dinner hour, don't you think? "What's for dinner tonight, mom?" "Oh, we're having Kick-a-Poo Joy Juice and Head-hunter Stew." Everybody laughs and shows up for dinner to see just what this stuff is! 

Anyway, this recipe uses one of the traditional harbingers of the new season--RHUBARB. This often maligned fruit is loaded with anti-oxidants, fiber, and vitamins--it deserves more respect and attention. So try this out, and when the family says, "What's for dessert tonight, mom?" you can say (with a big grin):


BIG BERTHA RHUBARB PIE (serves 12)
2 3/4 C sugar, divided
1/4 C flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 C whipping cream
6 eggs, separated
5 C cut-up rhubarb
Shortbread Crust
2 tsp vanilla


Combine 2 C sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in cream. Beat egg yolks until very light. Blend into sugar mixture. Add rhubarb. Spoon over warm Shortbread Crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 min. 


Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add remaining 3/4 C sugar, gradually beating until stiff and sugar is dissolved. Stir in vanilla. Spread over rhubarb layer, starting at edges and working toward center. Carefully seal meringue to outer edges of pan. Continue baking for 15 min. or until golden.


SHORTBREAD CRUST:
1 C butter
2 C sifted flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla


Combine and mix until crumbly. Press into bottom of 9x13-inch pa. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete