Saturday, April 17, 2010

Depression: We Are What We Eat

First a comment from a reader, then on to today's topic. Yodasmith commented on the post about Stevia and I wanted to pass her suggestion on and thank her for taking the time to write:
yodasmith said...
I like to use SweetLeaf brand of stevia, and it has 0 calories, 0 carbs, and a 0 glycemic index!
NOW, just a short post today, on a topic I never thought I'd be addressing here, as this space is intended for encouragement, and concrete helps to making family dinner hour possible (hence the blog title). But today I received a message that Amanda Rose is following me on Twitter and I think you might really appreciate knowing about her.

Amanda Rose is a  mom, a Phd, a political scientist, and an author of a book titled Rebuild from Depression. I'm sharing this information because I have struggled my entire life with depression--it's affected my marriage and most especially the kind of mom I was (and it wasn't good--maybe we can talk about that another day).

In exploring her blog, "REBUILD--the Blog", I read that her focus to healing from depression is a natural one--through diet, something I've discovered by trial and error on my own and am a radical believer in. Her approach is through natural, whole, REAL food (replacing nutrient-deficient foods with nutrient-dense foods). She's been depression-free for four years, and shares her research (she keeps up on  what stuff does to us--arsenic in foods, for instance, shares recipes, recommends other good books to read, etc. etc. etc.). Her blog is a goldmine of important and useful information!

Depression is a common malady today, and I have a hunch that some of you coming to "Making Family Dinner Hour Possible" either struggle with it yourselves or know someone who does. So along with talking about quick and easy meals, we need to talk more about quick, easy, and healthy meals, don't you think? 

This is a case where my closing lines, "We're all in this together, so let's help each other out..." likely has yet another application. Let's check out her blog, take a look at her book, and seriously consider her nutrition advice. And if YOU have experience with depression, know of other good sites, books, etc., or have nutrition tips you could share, please do. "...let's help each other out!" Until next time then, have a great weekend, and here's to making family dinner hour possible (and a source of healing along the way)!



1 comment:

  1. Oh no . . . groan . . . I'm in big trouble today ;) Happy birthday!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete