Friday, February 17, 2012

ONE-BATCH Cookie Baking Update

[Alice talking]: Folks, last night I made 3 different cookies doughs (chocolate chip, oatmeal and walnut, and peanut butter) and baked them all in 36 minutes!

Let's do the math on this: Each batch of cookies yields 3 dozen cookies. So that means I made 9 dozen cookies in 36 minutes!

More math: If each dozen takes about 8 minutes to bake individually, that's around 24 minutes of baking per batch of dough. So for 3 batches of dough (the 9 dozen cookies), that equals 1 hour and 12 minutes (72 minutes) to bake all three batches.

Still more math: SO, by baking all 3 batches, one at a time on my jelly roll pan (at 12 minutes baking for each baking session), I saved 36 minutes! Might not sound like much on the surface, but as we've said before, these dibs and dabs of time add up over the long haul.

PLUS, let's factor in the clean up--I did this all using ONE bowl. I didn't even need to wash it, or the mixing beaters, between batches because they all called for brown sugar, butter, and vanilla. There was no distinct flavor change to merit washing my tools between batches.

Now here's another tip: While the cookies are still warm from the oven, use your pizza cutter to slice into squares, rectangles, or diamonds. Or use a glass to cut into circles. Then you can lift them out of the pan using an off-set spatula. I tried turning the entire pan out onto my large cutting board, but it's too messy and time-consuming and there's no need for this.

So that's the ONE-BATCH cooking baking update. Have a blast with this idea and please report back with YOUR tips and successes. We're all in this together as together we make family dinner hour possible!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this next time. Also, I'm going to email you THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe you can share with everyone. Mom loves them, so she has the recipe too! Once of the ingredients that makes the cookies takes so amazing...vanilla pudding! :) Stay tuned for an email! :)

    ReplyDelete